Every year, around this time, I make a list of things I’m thankful for in the past year. This year, one prominent theme is learning — the opportunity and resources to learn many things and use them in life.
There’s not much more to say about this list, except: these items are in no particular order and I did my best not to repeat items from previous years’ lists (based on my admittedly imperfect memory).
Here we go~
- Completed my first ever month-long class on music production and now I can finally use my DAW to create music. And how it inspired this.
- Brother sent a blanket over for the winter.
- That there are so many language learning resources on the internet (free!)
- Discovering inspirational vloggers, and families who show that goodness and love exist in spite of everything (eg: Grace for the Millers, Mel and Shane, etc)
- Having the Studio One DAW and other basic technologies and tools: a new MIDI keyboard, an old 66-key keyboard, a viola, AudioBox
- Having a musical background in string instruments and piano.
- Medium and the ability to write on it, make a side income, make friends, and learn
- Having time to learn a new language.
- My mom’s endless patience and generosity, and visits with her.
- My grandpa’s health — he was recently diagnosed with cancer but it’s not too serious.
- My own health, in spite of practices I know are bad for me (sitting too long at the computer)
- BBW friends and readers, and the growth of the site.
- Free library books and access to ebooks via Overdrive.
- Adobe software subscription — a gift from my dad.
- Access to Lynda.com to learn technology and more.
- Learning the Memory strategy which I’ve applied to learning 1,000+ words in ~2 months.
- Learning about spaced repetition, specifically the Fibonnaci system (also applied to language learning)
- Subtitled media for language learning (like Viki) and access to foreign language YTers.
- Creating two writing courses this year combining everything I’ve gained from years of writing and learning.
- The chance to work for a teacher, and also leave when the time was right.
- Having a great hosting company and learning how to create my own site from scratch (plus many other skills like downloading and transferring site content, email marketing, plugins & other tech, etc), PLUS Mailer Lite.
- Winning an awesome travel backpack and socks!
- The existence of affiliate marketing.
- My cousin and friend and their incredible loyalty.
- RM Foreign language reading competitions that push me to keep practicing.
- In spite of years of hard use, my computer is still working and serving me well! (And that I have the resources to get another one soon because this one is on its last legs)
- Having the chance to improve my skills in arts and communications and writing and use these skills in part to support myself financially 🙂
Ready to be a Brilliant Writer?
I’ve created The Brilliant Writer Checklist to help you clarify your message, reach more readers, and change the world with your words. Get your free copy here: