Yes, I know that sounds very 18th-century France and America. It’s supposed to.
Because writing is war.
Learning to write well requires the steel of a soldier. Clawing through the morass of mediocre writers to gain an audience and make a profit is like going into battle. Making your writing dreams come true is one of the greatest campaigns you will fight in your life.
Okay, maybe making your writing dreams come true is not QUITE that bloody…
But hold on a sec. Before we talk about making your writing dreams come true, I want to talk about the terrible predicament you’re in.
Oh, you didn’t know you’re in a terrible predicament?
Well, you downloaded your copy of the Brilliant Writer Checklist, right? Printed it out? Taken a look?
If so, you might not realize it, but you’re in one of the following tight squeezes:
- You badly want to be a writer, but you just can’t seem to find the time / discipline / motivation / inspiration to do so.
- You have great dreams of becoming a writer—a PAID writer—and you’ve already started sending out your work and trying to get some attention, but it hasn’t worked so well…and the path looks more and more daunting without a guide and a roadmap.
- You haven’t even downloaded the Brilliant Writer Checklist, and now I’m calling you out on it, and sending my squirrel army to hunt you down, and you’ve got nowhere to hide.
If you’re in the third predicament, the good news is I don’t actually have a squirrel army. 😉
The bad news is, one Brilliant Writer Checklist by itself will not turn you into a skilled, well-paid writer.
So what CAN you do to achieve your writing dreams?
Why most writers don’t succeed
All too often, I see writers with big dreams wilt and give up after attempting to start a blog or submit an article to an online publication, and hearing nothing back.
They work hard and mean well, but they really don’t know what they’re doing.
For instance, they start a blog on wordpress.com or blogspot, writing about whatever catches their fancy whenever they have the time.
But a week goes by, and no one notices. A month passes, and still not a peep from the peanut gallery. A year, and they have despaired of the whole gig.
Or perhaps they are a little wiser and decide to write somewhere where there already is a significant audience hanging out. But still, nothing: no reads, no comments, no applause.
That’s because they don’t know the 3-pronged system to becoming a skilled, paid writer.
Everything you need to know to start winning fans and making money as a writer
There are three things you need to do to be a writer who gets to make a living doing what you love best:
- Write well
- Reach the right market
Writing well doesn’t just mean getting your grammar right. If you want to write online, there are certain strategies you need to implement in your writing to make sure you catch and keep readers’ attention. Writing well also means having an effective writing system so that you produce quality content on a regular basis.
Some of the skills you will need to master include:
- Writing irresistible headlines
- Utilizing content frameworks with proven success records (ex: how-to posts, list posts)
- Polishing introductions and conclusions that tap into your reader’s psychology
Reaching the right market involves knowing the topography of the online marketing world, and a few strategies for monetizing your skills and content.
Some of the things you have to know about the market are:
- What niches are the most lucrative online
- How to set up your own self-hosted blog and email list
- Who your ideal reader is, what s/he wants and where s/he hangs out
Persistence isn’t just a matter of willpower. There are systems and strategies you can use to get the ball rolling and KEEP it rolling until YOU are rolling…in the dough! 😉
Some of the ways to bypass willpower and become a trustworthy writer:
- Discovering and tapping into your deepest WHY through the 7-layer strategy.
- Setting up a robust yet flexible writing system that integrates with your lifestyle.
- Using your journal to capture and develop your best ideas so that you never have to struggle with writer’s block again.
Do all of the above, and you’ll be making money and gathering fans in no time. 🙂
Want a more thorough walk-through of the process?
I really just gave you the “Cliff Notes” of the system here.
For more details, keep an eye on your email. You’ll be getting more info tomorrow!